Sunday, June 6, 2010

Here we are!!

Ok, so here is my blog, as suggested by the lovely ladies in the Beginner Sewers group in EB (mainly because of my inability to figure out how to put up pictures there :) ).

I am the proud owner of a sewing machine and an overlocker (both Janome), both who were well aquainted with the inside of the cupboard under the stairs until just before my daughter was born - when I decided to embark on this journey.

Sewing and I do have a bit of a history. My mother was amazing at sewing. When i was really young she made everything for me, from dresses and outfits (all of which had a matching smaller version for my beloved cabage patch doll) to underwear and scrunchies. Sometimes I would 'help', but I was really too young to grasp much. When I was about 10 she started to work more, and then a few years later she began a part-time uni degree (she is superwoman), so there unfortunately wasn't as much time for sewing, just necessities - mending, curtains, costumes etc.

About 7 years ago I decided that I would learn to sew, and took some lessons, and made a shirt from a pattern. At that stage I thought sewing would be a big part of my life, so used monies from my 21st birthday to purchase my overlocker - and then it began its long story of neglect - life/ study/ work all got in the way. Also I found I didn't really like making stuff for myself.

Now I have a daughter - and who better to sew things for. It started with some of the linen and things for her nursery - mainly becaue I just couldn't find what I wanted. With a lot of help from mum we made a simple applique quilt, some basket inserts and cushions.

And now here we are - full of hope that I might be able to succeed in learning some new skills!!



No comments:

Post a Comment