Sunday, June 6, 2010

My first 2 projects

So the first thing I 'made' was a change mat. I say 'made' with inverted commas, because there really wasn't much to it - I bought some cute apple print plastic type tableclothing from SL and backed it with some flanelette and then finished it off with some matching bias binding. As simple as that sounds, it was a bit of a task - and pretty messy. I don't have any photos (maybe I should take one). But I have since learned that I sewed the bias binding all wrong. After checking out a video on the net on how to sew bias binding, I hope that next time there will be far less swearing with a neater end result.


The next project was a softie for the daughter. At 4 months she loves that crinkly, crunchy sound that plastic bags make, so I thought I could incorperate that into a toy. Thanks to the ladies at EB, I ended up using cellophane to make the noise. I lay it inside before stuffing - what I will do next time is stitch it in. I was also originally just going to do a ring or a cube, but realised I needed to take a rabbit to Kindyroo the next week (and not having one) I made it in the shape of a bunny (well that was the plan - it doesn't really look like one). I added some tags, just to make it brighter and easier to grab. It's pretty terrible and basic looking - but she LOVES it. The ears are the perfect size for her to munch on, and so it spends most of the day in her mouth. I think the colours also catch her eye. It is the first toy she will reach for - so that makes me feel pretty good. I do realise that I need to remove the buttons and do something else for the eyes - as they will be a chocking hazzard if they come off (things you don't think of as a newbie mum and sewer).

1 comment: