As my daughter loves munching on the bunny ears so much, I thought I’d make something else for her. I figured an elephant might be a good one – 4 legs and a trunk all for the chewing. I was planning a 2D type of an elephant, but when I google imaged ‘softie elephant' for some inspiration, I saw all these pictures of 3D elephants – so I thought ‘why not just try’? So above is the result.
Once again the sewing is not that great (I really need to work on my patience) – the worst part was trying to figure out how to stitch the bottom part on without having the legs all splayed out too far. I understood theoretically how it should work - I didn’t really succeed in practice. So I put a few stitches in at the end to sew the legs together a bit (daughter is too young to really be that critical). I stitched some cellophane into the ear flaps – but not having really done too much hand sewing, I wasn’t really sure how to stitch them on to the head neatly. So I did the stitching really obvious (and quite messy), then I can just say it is meant to be that way, for that handmade type look. I used my snap press (I have been wanting to use it), to put a snap-able loop on the top, to snap it to prams etc.
The material is the same as the bunny; a couple of fat quarters I picked up at SL in their recent sale. I still have a bit left, I’m planning a taggy teething owl, but I need some more ribbon first, and probably some felt or something for the eyes.
I think I tried that same pattern (was it from a crafty forum?) last week and had exactly the same problem with the splaying legs, and did exactly what you did with all the messy sewing on the belly, lol! I think I'm going to thead some pipe cleaners in next time as well as putting a few darts in the belly section.
ReplyDeleteVery cute, and I love the snappy loop.
ReplyDelete